Saturday, June 13, 2009

Official Orders

The long awaited orders have finally come!  "You are ordered to active duty...."  Most of you are like "yeah, yeah you already knew that."  But what you don't know is that everything is on hold until you have official orders in hand.  

Now that I actually have orders I can have our household stuff shipped and stored at the Army's expense (not ours), and I can begin the process of applying for housing at Fort Campbell.  It also verifies that I will enter active duty with the rank of Captain.  

I report to the chaplain school at Fort Jackson, Columbia, South Carolina on July 12.  I will finish the school on August 28.  
Then I drive straight to For Campbell, KY.  I have to report there on August 31.  I still don't know what BTC or BN (Brigade Combat Team or Battalion) I'll be assigned to.  Looks like I might have to wait until I report down there to find that out.  

I talked to the housing office down there yesterday and they said for a 2-bedroom duplex the wait is 30-45 days.  We will have to navigate that issue when we get down there.  

Right now I am reading 2 books with my free time:


I'll give an update on both of these after I finish them and have some time to reflect.  War and the Soul will take a little longer to digest and evaluate.  A Table in the Presence is a little quicker and a very interesting read.  

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Congrats to the Pittsburgh Penguins.  Lord Stanley would be proud.

2 comments:

  1. Chris - I'm excited to hear about your orders to Campbell! I hope that your moves go well and that all the administrative aspects go well also. Let me know if you need help with anything. Cherise and i are still at Fort Leonard Wood and will get our orders soon. Anyway, take care and keep in touch.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read A Table in the Presence...it is a good read overall and goes very fast. I had a hard time swallowing the replacement theology stance that the Chaplain kept bringing up.

    ReplyDelete